Monday, May 7, 2012

The Simple Things + A Sensory Snapshot = The Koi Pond


Each Sunday, I'll be linking up with 'Simple As That' for Rebecca's Simple Things Sundays. I'll also be posting what I call a 'Sensory Snapshot'. A Sensory Snapshot is a chance to revisit a moment that you really enjoyed or really moved you in-depth, exploring all the bits and pieces that made it memorable, the sounds, scents, feelings and sights that made it stick with you. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE KOI POND


This past week we took Aedan on a shopping adventure and stopped at one of his favorite places, the garden center at a local farm market. He enjoys the nursery immensely, and from his perspective, I can see why. The well-established green house is a veritable jungle filled with flowering trees, palms, large-leafed tropical plants and a water feature that includes some of the largest Koi fish I have ever seen. This is where we chose to linger a while, allowing Aedan to explore the fish and the water to his heart's content. That moment that we shared was one that will stick with me for a long long time.

I held him tight to my chest as we leaned over the pond together, my arms cushioning him from the cool, hard stone bench that borders the pond. The air was hot and laden with moisture; the heady aroma of damp earth mixed with the pungent scents of the fish below us. Aedan explored the area calmly and serenely, first concentrating on the burbling sounds and splashes of the water ponds waterfall feature. Slowly, he brought his attention to the water beneath us as he caught a glimpse of the large Koi that slowly lapped the pool. With a calm, rhythmic pace, the largest of the fish slowly approached and swam right up under my son's outstretched hand and broke the water, it's large mouth opening and closing as though trying to say something. As my son watched, raptly attentive and totally immersed, everything else in the world completely melted away and I became totally immersed in the moment as well. I drank it all in; my son's tiny hand reaching for the giant fish, the beautiful colors and patterns of the scales that attracted him so. The sounds of the water splashing into itself mixed with the calm, relaxed breath of my son. The aromas of the water mixed with the soft, pure 'baby' smell as I nuzzled my nose into my son's hair and inhaled. His tiny, warm body clutched tight to my chest. It was a perfect moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Join me over at Simple as That for Simple Things Sunday. I love Rebecca and her blog is -definitely- worth adding to your to-read list!!

No comments:

Post a Comment